1. PREPARE the sushi rice and the
2. LAY a halved nori sheet shiny
side down on a large plate. Using moistened hands, place a
ping pong ball sized amount of the rice on the right side of
the nori sheet, then flatten down slightly.
3. SMEAR a small amount of wasabi
diagonally across the rice (be sparing with wasabi, it's
4. PLACE your chosen filling
ingredients diagonally on top of the rice so they point
towards the bottom right corner of the nori. (Be sure not to
overfill your roll.)
5. FOLD the top right corner of the
nori over the rice and filling ingredients.
6. PICK the hand roll up and wrap
the left side of the nori tightly around the rice and fillings
to form a cone shape, leaving a small flap.
7. MOISTEN the flap of nori with
water and seal the cone. Leave the rolls for a minute or two
before eating to let the rice and fillings soften the nori.
8. SERVE the sushi hand rolls with
Japanese soy sauce (shoyu) for dipping. Cleanse your palate
between hand rolls with a little gari (pickled ginger).